Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2023 21:51:27 -0400

The problems you've reported with emacs-devel seem significant.
Thanks for describing them clearly.

  >   These text entry boxes on Github et al. definitely
  > feel easier and more inviting to use.

Github is a non-starter for the GNU Project for moral reasons: it
requires users to run nonfree JavaScript.  We can't direct users
there.

Another problem is that one can't use Emacs editing for editing text
entry in IceCat, which is the browser I can trust to protect me from
JavaScript malware.

The email interface must continue to work.  But I don't see anything
wrong in offering a web interface _also_, provided it is only an
alternate, not the recommended way.

But we shouldn't neglect the email problems you've repoeted.

I think we can fix them, at least some of them, in Emacs's mail
composition modes.  First, we could give them a list of the mailing
lists we want them to handle specially -- you could put in the lists
you use.  That way you won't have to explicitly request special handling
for them.

Then we could automaticall add or enable various features, such as
auto-fill, when sending to those lists.

We could have a way of recognizing that certain CC addresses are on
the list so they can be dropped automatically from the CC of the
reply, while retaining others.

Maybe we could modify the list handler server software to do some of
this automatically.  Perhaps to indicate in some extension header
which cc'd addresses are not on the mailing list, and the mail mode
would put those by default into the CC header of the reply.

I think we could eliminate the inconveniences of email this way.

  > Exactly.  TBH I still have to assemble courage to post here.  All these
  > top dogs with their super-dry yet elaborate communication style are
  > surely, um, intimidating.

That is not a good thing.  Maybe we can continue on the path of the Kind
Communication Guidelines (https://gnu.org/philosophy/kind-communication.html)
to make emacs-devel less intimidating.

Would you like to start accumulating a list of examples that do,
or did in the past, feel intimidating to you?  We could learn ommething
from that.

First step, we could set up a web page that explais the conventions
in a clear and kind way, so that when we ask newcomers to follow them,
we won't make per feel bad.

But I don't deserve credit for my typos.  I must admit that they are
all unintentional ;-{.