Re: Adding refactoring capabilities to Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Adding refactoring capabilities to Emacs
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 12:04:23 +0100

On Mon, Sep 4, 2023 at 11:48 AM Rudolf Schlatte <rudi@constantly.at> wrote:

> Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:
> >
> >> I previously posted a link to a screenshot from VS Code, here it is
> >> again:
> >> https://bobbyhadz.com/images/blog/rename-variable-vscode/refactor-preview.webp
> >
> > So fundamentally, it is a one-line diff along the lines of "git diff
> > --word-diff", plus some folding, and check-boxes to select which diff
> > chunks to apply.  Or is there more to it?
>
> This sounds very similar to magit's staging interface to me, which is a
> nice emacs-y way to pick and choose from changes files or individual
> changes within files.

Can you show a screenshot of that interface or give a recipe
to try it out?  Is it very different from regular "diff-mode"?
I'm not a Magit user but I feel some of its UI is indeed
good, and maybe they could be reused without an explicit dependency
on broader Magit. (For example I'm still using a pretty good
version of git-rebase-mode.el before it was integrated into
Magit).

João