Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 14:45:44 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: philipk@posteo.net, danny@dfreeman.email, eliz@gnu.org,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org, manuel.uberti@inventati.org
> Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 21:27:38 -0400
>
>   > As to naming, it's not my call, so let's have Richard chime in.
>   > clojure-mode, newclojure-mode, etc, I personally don't care, since I'm
>   > not a Clojure user.
>
> It is an Emacs convention that the major mode for a language FOO
> is named FOO-mode.  Users expect they can tyoe M-x FOO-mode RET to
> select that mode.  They expect to be able to put -*-FOO-*- on the first
> line to specify that mode in the file.  We should follow that convention.

That is in general true and preferred, but there are already
deviations from this.  Examples include the venerable cperl-mode and
the recently-added *-ts-mode's.

So, if needed (and I'm not saying it's needed in this case, as the
discussions still continue and the jury is still out on what would be
the final outcome), we can use a slightly non-standard name if there
are good reasons.  Let's not be too dogmatic when the situation is
delicate and requires us to be creative for the greater good.