Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 13:40:39 +0100

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> You've got it right.  The name "cider" does not fit into an Emacs
> standard naming convention; it is simply a name someone chose for a
> package.  If we want to develop a similar packge that could be part of
> Emacs, we would have no reason to use that name.  So we may as well
> pick another nmms for the new package.

The name 'cider' isn't the issue here, as CIDER is not the name of
something we're interested in importing into Emacs.

The names 'clojure-mode' and 'clojure-ts-modes' are the issue.  We can't
(easily) use these names for writing a Clojure mode from scratch because
they have already been "taken away" in some sense by two NonGNU
projects.

However, it's unclear at this point if these NonGNU projects will become
GNU after all.  The authors had previously declined an invitation, but
it may not be the end of the story.

> I'm ok with making small adaptations to cooperate with the developers
> of the external Clojure language mode, when that does not cause a
> problem for Emacs.  There is no reason to be ornery.  But we should
> not do that in ways that mess up our general conventions.

If the new Clojure major mode editing mode is to be written from
scratch, we'll have to "mess up" the aforementioned convention slightly,
at least for the foresseable future.