Re: Adding package-vc to ELPA

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Adding package-vc to ELPA
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 08:02:20 +0000

>> I have put some more though into this, and I don't think adding the new
>> VC functionality to Compat or package-vc.el would be a good idea.
>> Beside vc-clone we would also need `vc-prepare-patch' and the
>> "last-change" method.  What would be imaginable would be to add the
>> package to ELPA and make it depend on Emacs 29?  Would that sound
>> useful?
>
> What happened to this?  package-vc is still not on ELPA, is it?

I have posted an update in another thread:
https://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2023-08/msg00667.html.  To
summarise, if you take a look at the feature/elpa-package branch you'll
find the changes necessary to add both package.el and package-vc.el to
ELPA.  I have been wanting for confirmation from aboveā„¢ before
progressing with the idea.

There were some objections to adding package.el to ELPA, in case
package.el breaks itself when updating, but I hope that that issue
should be handled by adding a verbatim autoloaded function that can be
used to remove the local package.el installation.  Of course if the
complains remain, we can also just add package-vc.el to ELPA.

> I can't see any replies to the question you asked above, but FWIW I
> think requiring Emacs 29 is fine if backporting is too much of a hassle.

Agree.

--
Philip Kaludercic