Re: Emacs design and architecture. How about copy-on-write?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Emacs design and architecture. How about copy-on-write?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:38:00 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> With enough text properties and overlays, you can definitely see a
> tangible slowdown in frame rate.  E.g., Org developers don't want to
> use text properties because they slow down redisplay, and thus they
> consider them not scalable enough.

I do not think that it needs be addressed by async threads.
The main problem with text properties, AFAIK, is that segment tree Emacs
uses makes searching for next single property change scale with the
total number of segments where _any_ arbitrary property changes, not
with actual number of that searched property segments.

I believe that it is more a question of rewriting text property handling
into multiple segment trees dedicated to individual properties.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,