Re: Emacs design and architecture. How about copy-on-write?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Emacs design and architecture. How about copy-on-write?
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 11:17:18 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:

>>> I hope by "placeholder" you mean the previous rendered image of it.
>> More precisely, what I had in mind is the old glyph matrix + some
>> indication that the rendering is not up-to-date (like classic sand clock
>> icon)
>
> Any visible indicators of incomplete layouts or "not yet updated" icons
> are going to be a visual nuisance if the refresh speed is still above
> 5fps. So we should be careful with those.

Sure. This is a minor detail that can be customizeable, for example.

> And even the "slow" mode-line packages still manage to maintain at least
> 5fps, I believe.

Nope. 0.2 sec is the delay that is barely noticeable. When "slow"
mode-line packages affect users it is usually much worse than 5fps.
(Though sometimes it is due to redisplay being fired frequently, not the
individual refresh times being too large).

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,