Re: Emacs design and architecture

From: Bob Rogers
Subject: Re: Emacs design and architecture
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 17:31:41 -0700

   From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
   Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 16:26:24 -0400

   I first saw CIDER mentioned in a recent discussion, and no one who
   mentioned it explained what it does.  I don't know what SLIME does
   either.  Would you please tell me briefly what they do, in 20 lines
   for each?  I don't want details, at least not to start.

It's even easier than that:  SLIME is "The Superior Lisp Interaction
Mode for Emacs" and it essentially replaced ILISP among Emacs users in
the CL development community 20-odd years ago.  SLIME provides REPL,
debugging interface, inspector, and editing hacks for Emacs.  CIDER is
"the Clojure(Script) Interactive Development Environment that Rocks," so
it's similar for Clojure; I've never used CIDER, but it says it was
inspired by SLIME.

                                        -- Bob Rogers
                                           http://www.rgrjr.com/