Re: Should Emacs define site-lisp load-path for Dynamically-Loaded Modul

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Should Emacs define site-lisp load-path for Dynamically-Loaded Modules?
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 13:49:04 +0300

> From: Björn Bidar <bjorn.bidar@thaodan.de>
> Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 18:41:25 +0300
>

> Recently I have began on packaging Emacs packages for OpenSuSE Linux,
> many of whom use dynamic modules.
>
> I noticed that almost all packages that use dynamic modules compile
> the module after installation and store it in the package directory.
>
> Emacs define site-lisp for locally installed libraries however the
> directory is usually contained inside <datadir>.
>
> That makes me ask the questions should there be a second site-lisp for
> dynamic modules in <libdir> by default?

Any rationale for doing that?  I mean, "should there be" is not really
a rationale...

We look for dynamic modules in the same directories as Lisp files for
2 reasons:

  . a dynamic module frequently comes with a part written in Lisp
    alongside the part written in C or some other language, so it
    makes sense to allow keeping these parts together;
  . dynamic modules are loaded by the 'load' primitive, so looking in
    the same directories makes loading easier to understand and use

So now the floor is yours to describe why would we want to add yet
another non-trivial complication into our loading process.