Non-ASCII characters in Info files produced by Texinfo 7.1

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Non-ASCII characters in Info files produced by Texinfo 7.1
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 22:12:21 +0300

Texinfo 7.1, released a few days ago, changed the behavior wrt
characters produced from quotes, apostrophes and en- and em-dashes: by
default, it now produces the ASCII equivalents.  So, for example, "--"
in the Texinfo source remains "--" in the produced Info file, where
previous versions would produce a real en-dash '–'.

The main reason for this change is that it makes it easier to grep the
Info files.

To revert to previous behavior, we will need to pass an optional
argument to the makeinfo command in our Makefile's.  But before I make
this change, I would like to know if people here want the new behavior
or the old one.

For those who want the read about the reasons for this change in
behavior, here are the links:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake-patches/2022-12/msg00000.html
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake-patches/2022-12/msg00019.html
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-texinfo/2023-06/msg00000.html