Re: Lisp files that load cl-lib in problematical ways

From: Bob Rogers
Subject: Re: Lisp files that load cl-lib in problematical ways
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 12:47:29 -0700

   From: Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org>
   Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 13:32:43 +0200

   Alan Mackenzie wrote:

   . . .

   > Note that Common Lisp never took off as a popular language.  There
   > must be reasons for this.

   Maintaining it is too difficult?

Even before CL, Lisp systems tended to be memory-hungry.  Common Lisp
was designed as a large language, for a future where memory would be
cheap.  That future eventually came, but before it came the PC boom,
when tiny systems with relatively tiny amounts of RAM ruled the roost.
And Lisp was neglected even on more powerful workstations; some of you
will rememeber the Sun Sparcstation Pmeg problem that caused page table
thrashing if you tried to allocate more than 16MB.  (This is an over-
simplification for why Lisp popularity declined, of course.)

   This complexity and the resulting complications, I believe, are what
Richard was trying to avoid when he designed Emacs Lisp to be a simpler
dialect of Lisp, and why he sees cl-lib.el as a trojan horse that is
changing Emacs Lisp.  (And why I hope this bit of history is not quite
off-topic.)

                                        -- Bob Rogers
                                           http://www.rgrjr.com/