Re: What's missing in ELisp that makes people want to use cl-lib?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: What's missing in ELisp that makes people want to use cl-lib?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:05:42 +0200

On 15/11/2023 14:14, João Távora wrote:
But say I did that seq-do, then what is the seq-contains-p generic good
for then?  Why some many redundant generics that the user learns the
hard way have to be consistent with each other?
So any new type gets a lot of functions implemented very easily, and
could add specialized implementations for performance.
Fair enough.  Except, as you noted, those optimizations can be
completely nullified overnight, when trying to optimize something
else.

I don't see where they would be "completely nullified". The gains seem consistent, even if they don't extend as much to certain scenarios, like custom test-fn. Even that one should be improved, though.

More importantly, I'm not seeing any meaningful regressions, in any related or different scenario.

the switchover would tank the performance of its callers.
As long as the observable behavior stays the same (aside from
performance), that seems fine.
I don't think this is "fine" at all to tank user code performance,
not from any library, much less such a basic foundation library.

If that is the only drawback we can find, it is an unavoidable one.

But that is the price one has to pay for correcting a design mistake. We're not going to do this every Tuesday.