Re: Instead of pcase

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Instead of pcase
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 16:58:39 +0200

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 16:05:28 +0200
Cc:luangruo@yahoo.com,jporterbugs@gmail.com,rms@gnu.org,
  emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: Dmitry Gutov<dmitry@gutov.dev>

From: Michael Heerdegen<michael_heerdegen@web.de>
Cc: Jim Porter<jporterbugs@gmail.com>,rms@gnu.org,emacs-devel@gnu.org
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 12:48:08 +0100

What I don't like here in this discussion is that some people are not
willing to accept that other people make different experiences with the
same things.
This goes both ways, you know.
The "other side" doesn't create threads with angry comments about the
developers with opposing views writing lower-level verbose code
(choo-choo trains, Joao called that), with calls to prohibit such practices.
I meant this very thread.  The very previous message, actually.

I don't see calls for prohibiting those implementation styles, in the previous messages, or anywhere. It would be impractical anyway.

OTOH, enacting a ban on particular abstractions will just about
guarantee that certain kinds of features will not be implemented.
That's a strawman: no one of those who set policies here suggested any
bans.  One should be able to post opinions for and against certain
coding styles without being accuse in mortal sins.

No one is arguing about whether people are allowed to post opinions.

There have been a few calls for working toward dropping pcase or cl-lib from the Emacs core, however.