Re: How to use "smart kerning" font features in Emacs using composition-

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: How to use "smart kerning" font features in Emacs using composition-function-table
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:57:34 -0800

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 21:18:18 -0800
From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>

From: Steve Molitor <stevemolitor@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 14:42:36 -0600
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

For ligature support, I do need something like this for Commit Mono:

      (set-char-table-range
       composition-function-table
       `([" [,-.:;A-Z_a-z><=!&|+-?/\\]+" 0 font-shape-gstring]))
Beware: composition-function-table is global, so the above will ligate
characters on the mode line as well, which might not be what you want.
Is there any way to make it local? If I make composition-function-table
buffer-local and set the buffer-local variable, would it work?
It will work to affect compositions when the buffer is the current
one, but it will not work to avoid compositions on the mode line of
the window(s) which display(s) that buffer.
Cool!
The use-case I'm thinking about is using Commit Mono for Info
buffers and help buffers, which have large bodies of monospaced
text. The improved readability would help a lot there.
I think if you like these features enough, you should want it in any
major mode that displays human-readable text.  But that's me.

I tend to you variable width fonts for human-readable text whenever possible. But for Info and help buffers, very often the content relies on monospacing for text layout. So I can't use variables-width font for those.

Yuan