Re: feature that was needed for read-symbol-shorthands

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: feature that was needed for read-symbol-shorthands
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 12:09:46 +0000

On Sat, Dec 2, 2023, 03:19 Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

When the shorthands feasture was installed, I found that another
feature was needed: a way to explicitly load a specified file, and
specify an added shorthands list for the contents of that file, to be
used in addition to what the file itself specifies.

Did that ever get implemented?

I don't think so, no.

  Is there a way to do it now?

Maybe. Have you thought about practical consequences? The file would no longer be the single source of truth as to what symbols are interned when it is read.

For example, visiting such a file after having it loaded like that would lead to surprising behavior for many features (help buffers, eldoc, etc). And it would become impossible to analyze the file without loading it or guessing how it is meant to be loaded.

What about compiled files? Would you do shorthand substitution at elc-loading time? It's not read-time anymore.

For these reasons I recommend against doing this.

João