Re: Please, Restore Previous Behavior for jump-to-register

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Please, Restore Previous Behavior for jump-to-register
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 14:27:43 +0200

People who are interested in registers are kindly requested to try the
latest two patches prepared by Thierry and posted by him in these two
messages:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2023-12/msg00644.html
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2023-12/msg00650.html

Please provide opinions on these two alternative patches.  By
"opinions" I mean not only "like" or "dislike", but also arguments for
why you like/dislike this or that implementation.

I'm also interested to hear arguments why should the new behavior be
the default, if there are people who think the new behavior is better
in some circumstances.

When you reply to the messages, please keep the Subject line:

   bug#66394: 29.1; Make register-read-with-preview more useful

intact, and please CC bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org.  Preferably, download the
messages in their mbox format:

  https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66394;mbox=yes;msg=216
  https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?msg=219;bug=66394;mbox=yes

then open them in your MUA, and use the Reply All function to reply to
all the addresses with the correct Subject.

It is important for us to hear opinions about these two patches in
order to make an informed decision which will make this feature
acceptable for users.

TIA