Re: region-based face-remapping

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: region-based face-remapping
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 16:18:28 +0200

Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 05:49:24 +0200
Cc:jdtsmith@gmail.com,emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: Dmitry Gutov<dmitry@gutov.dev>

On 04/01/2024 09:05, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
    . one of the subroutines of face_at_buffer_position calls some Lisp
      hook
    . that Lisp hook calls code that calls face-font (or some other
      primitive which takes face-remapping-alist into account)
Could you give an example of a Lisp hook which might be called from
face_at_buffer_position's subroutines?
Why is having a specific example important?

Are you saying that there can never be such an example?

Yes, it would seem odd to me for face_at_buffer_position to call any hooks.

But if it did, I would consider whether any of the hooks being called would allow substituting the face with a different one (making it a different way to solve the present feature request). This sounds like a way to slow things down by an order of a magnitude, though, so it probably will not happen.

With the
current tendency of moving stuff to Lisp and adding hooks to C code,
we clearly cannot convince ourselves such a hook will never happen in
the future, even if it doesn't exist in this particular moment in
time.

Even if it moved to Lisp, it won't necessarily add any hooks.