Re: master 37889523278: Add new `swap` macro and use it

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 37889523278: Add new `swap` macro and use it
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2024 17:34:14 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: stefankangas@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2024 22:41:40 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Please in the future only revert commits by others without discussion
> > if they either completely break a build or are obviously wrong.
> > Everything else should be discussed first.
>
> There's no need to mention "in the future", because I have never done so
> in the past :-)

I can only try to affect the future, thus "in the future".

> > Did Stefan's change break some build?  If so, which build became
> > broken and why?
>
> All builds using C compilers that don't support typeof, which is an
> extension provided by GCC.  In my case, the compiler was Sun C 5.12,
> where __typeof__ is available but typeof is not (by default).

Then you could have easily fixed the change instead of reverting it,
right?  Why didn't you?

My opinion still is that reverting without discussion should be
reserved only to very extreme situations, where fixing the problem is
not easy, and the damage from the problem is serious.  I hope others
will behave according to that.