Re: file-remote-p being called too often?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: file-remote-p being called too often?
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:00:39 +0200

> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
> Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 13:17:21 -0800
>
> this is with emacs built from Git@HEAD:
> Discovered while profiling code in *scratch* via profiler-report:
>
> It looks like file-remote-p gets called from a timer (not started by e)
> and that that function shows up as being one of the ones eating cycles.

Thanks.

I cannot reproduce this, and you didn't post the actual profile you
see.  In my naïve attempt to reproduce I didn't see file-remote-p in
the profile I collected.

Is this in "emacs -Q"?  If so, please show the recipe for reproducing
this, starting from "emacs -Q".  Also, what version of Emacs is that?

If this is not in "emacs -Q", perhaps the profile you will post will
give a hint as to what optional features cause this.

(And why is this posted here instead of the bug tracker?)