Re: project-compilation-buffer-name-function and recompile

From: Jörg Bornemann
Subject: Re: project-compilation-buffer-name-function and recompile
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 16:05:55 +0100

On 1/19/24 01:45, Dmitry Gutov wrote:

Alternatively, you could add around-advice to recompile which would temporarily bind compilation-buffer-file-name-function.

Nice, thanks for the suggestion!

Although I'm thinking by now that it might be more consistent to have a separate project-recompile command in addition to
recompile.  What do you think?

The command could look like this:

   (defun project-recompile (&optional edit-command)
     (interactive "P")
    (let ((compilation-buffer-name-function project-compilation-buffer-name-function ))
       (recompile edit-command)))

It probably doesn't deserve a default key binding in project-prefix-map, but you could the same way to invoke it as you did with 'recompile'.

FWIW, I've filed this - as suggested by Eli - as bug#68570.

I agree that project-recompile wouldn't deserve a default key binding
since recompile doesn't have one.

TBF, whenever I need to do a recompile-y action, I usually switch to the corresponding compilation buffer and press 'g'. That usually has the same effect and doesn't require remembering an extra command.

That also works.  It seems to be a common suggestion (for example [1])
though to key-bind recompile instead of switching to the compilation
buffer first.

Cheers,

Joerg

[1] https://www.masteringemacs.org/article/compiling-running-scripts-emacs