Re: Translating the eps files in lispintro

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Translating the eps files in lispintro
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 16:32:15 +0000

> On Jan 22, 2024, at 1:05, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> On January 21, 2024 5:34:27 PM GMT+02:00, Jean-Christophe Helary
> <jean.christophe.helary@traductaire-libre.org> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jan 21, 2024, at 23:40, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> It's more a question of using SVG as a base from which to convert to other
>> formats. See below.
>>
>>> AFAIK, Texinfo doesn't support SVG images in Info documents.
>>
>> Info is not concerned by eps or pdf either.
>>
>> eps seems to be here to cover the TeX (DVI) output and pdf is here for the
>> TeX (PDF) output. Html and info use the plain text graphs that are in the
>> texi sources, and I guess DocBook too:
>>
>> @c cons-cell-diagram #2
>> @ifnottex
>> @smallexample
>> @group
>> bouquet
>>     |     ___ ___      ___ ___      ___ ___
>>      --> |___|___|--> |___|___|--> |___|___|--> nil
>>            |            |            |
>>            |            |            |
>>             --> rose     --> violet   --> buttercup
>> @end group
>>

>> The problem is that it does not seem trivial to edit the files in Emacs and
>> replace the English with Japanese strings, for ex. So my question is: is EPS
>> an accepted (editable) source format?
>>
>> It would seem more practical to have a format that's a bit easier to edit
>> (SVG, if only because it supports unicode) and from there use conversion
>> tools to create the required formats:
>>
>> eps for TeX (DVI output)
>> pdf/png/jpg (jpeg) for TeX (PDF output)
>> png, jpg (jpeg), gif for HTML output (although the current output does not
>> use images but just plain text)
>> eps, gif, jpeg (jpg), pdf, png, svg for DocBook output
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/texinfo.html#Images
>>

>> Considering the needs of the lisp introduction, we could have svg for an
>> eventual DocBook output, png for the HTML and PDF output, eps for the DVI
>> output and we'd be all set.
>>
>> Or maybe the actual source for the EPS (and PDF) files found in the intro is
>> somewhere else? Are the files created from the texinfo source?
>>

> No, the Emacs Info reader will display PNG images if Emacs supports them, and
> fall back to ASCII art if not.

Ok, so we'd need eps (DVI), png (PDF/HTML/Info/DocBook) and svg could also be
used for DocBook if necessary.

Inkscape could be used to (command-line) convert svg to eps and png.

Would that be an acceptable proposition to have "better" (as in
editable/translatable) image source files for the introduction?