Re: Font weight selection problem

From: Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)
Subject: Re: Font weight selection problem
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 18:39:40 +0100

On Tue 23 Jan 2024 at 19:28, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

Did you try to change the order between :family and :weight in your
'propertize' call?

No change.

> I think the problem has been here since at least version 28.0
I'm not sure it was ever supported. Can you make that do what you
expect in older versions of Emacs?

With version 27.0 I was able to select the "Roboto Mono" light, but version 28.0 did not work anymore for some reason. I solved the issue by creating a font file with a unique weight (light) (and named it differently). It looks as if Emacs is confused by the "light" version inside the font but I don't know if the font is malformed or if Emacs interprets "light" differently. I've tried other fonts and the light face always ends up either thin or regular, which makes me think that Emacs might be the cause.

I've since found what seems to be a relevant (small) patch:
https://github.com/yaglo/emacs-mac-patches/blob/main/fix_weights_and_widths.diff

but I did not tested it yet. The patch change values for weights but I don't know what is the semantic of these values (and if it is relevant here).

Nicolas

--
Nicolas P. Rougier —— www.labri.fr/perso/nrougier
Institute of Neurodegenerative Diseases, Bordeaux