Re: Creating a git branch for cond*

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Creating a git branch for cond*
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 20:08:55 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 11:47:36 -0800, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> > What I want to do early on in cond* development is convert
> > lisp/emacs-lisp/macroexp.el from pcase to cond*.

> I think such a decision should strongly involve the people mainly
> responsible for maintaining that file.

Of course.  It should be a decision reached factually after open
discussion on this mailing list.  I believe the benefits of this change
would be substantial, as outlined in another post.  But that is to be
demonstrated after cond* is up and running.

> Here are the top 5 contributors to that file, going by number of
> lines:

>  501 Stefan Monnier
>  136 Mattias EngdegÄrd
>   88 Miles Bader
>   39 Paul Eggert
>   18 Alan Mackenzie

> Going by number of commits, it looks something much like that (though
> Eggert has more commits than Bader).

Miles is no longer actively contributing to Emacs (unfortunately).  If I
remember correctly, he was the prime mover in implementing lexical
binding, which probably explains his high activity with this file.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).