Re: master 37889523278: Add new `swap` macro and use it

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: master 37889523278: Add new `swap` macro and use it
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 01:26:20 +0000

FYI, the claim "Sun C 5.8, a C99 compiler that does presently produce working Emacs builds" is pure fantasy, aka fabricated evidence. I had some free time today, I digged in my archives, and found a copy of Solaris 10 and Sun Studio 11, which I installed in a VM. The last Emacs version for which Sun C 5.8 produces a working Emacs build is... Emacs 24.

Really?

Really.

What's the error

It's not "the error", it's "the errors". Building Emacs 25 to 29 with the simplest possible configuration (--without-all --without-x) fails, and fails early on (while compiling dispnew.c), but the error messages are different in each case. I attach those of Emacs 25.

and what CPU did you install it on?

That would have mattered only if the compiler had produced a non-working build. It cannot even create the first object file.