Re: master 4b79c80c999 1/2: New function 'sort-on'

From: Daniel Mendler
Subject: Re: master 4b79c80c999 1/2: New function 'sort-on'
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 16:26:58 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Daniel Mendler <mail@daniel-mendler.de>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>> Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 16:00:09 +0100
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> > branch: master
>> > commit 4b79c80c999fe95654b7db196b12e0844473f6da
>> > Author: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>> > Commit: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>> >
>> >     New function 'sort-on'
>> >
>> >     * lisp/sort.el (sort-on): New function.  Patch by John Wiegley
>> >     <jwiegley@gmail.com>.
>> >
>> >     * etc/NEWS:
>> >     * doc/lispref/sequences.texi (Sequence Functions): Document
>> >     'sort-on'.
>>
>> Would this function fit into the seq library, named seq-sort-on?
>
> "Fit" in what sense?

The function works with other sequence types too and it seems a good
idea to collect sequence-related functionality in seq.el.

> This function can only sort lists, so at least from that aspect its
> place is not in seq.el.  In addition, I see no reason to have it
> preloaded.

No, in the current form, the function works on vectors too. It always
returns a list though. But maybe it makes sense to generalize it such
that it returns the same type as the argument.

> I've put it in sort.el because the function 'sort' is there.

No, sort is defined in src/fns.c.

Daniel