Re: discoverability, better defaults and which-key in Emacs

From: Jeremy Bryant
Subject: Re: discoverability, better defaults and which-key in Emacs
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 22:18:48 +0000

Eli,

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>> I understand.  How should this be implemented, would this be a new file
>> in the Emacs tree, or part of an existing file.
>> I can volunteer to work on an early prototype.
>
> I think a separate file is the best, thanks.

OK, noted

>> Good.  As part of a discoverability feature, perhaps we could link to
>> this node in more places, eg in C-h C-h itself
>
> We could do that, but there's always the discoverability of "C-h C-h"
> itself...

>From emacs -q, the first line is "Get help" which lands in "C-h C-h"

THe info node @Help is indeed very useful, but it takes several hops
from emacs -q to even get to it (perhaps via the whole manual)
I would suggest it would be helpful to insert a reference to @Help in a
much more obvious way, perhaps at the top of C-h C-h

- Would this be useful as a patch now?
- Should this be reserved as part of a 'discoverability' functionality or
setting?