Re: MPS signals and Emacs

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: MPS signals and Emacs
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 23:44:10 -0700

On 2024-04-21 23:15, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Paul, can you please help by suggesting how to handle this situation?

I don't know MPS or the MPS branch. However, it sounds like the MPS branch should indeed call init_signals (to let Emacs set up signal handlers the way it likes) before calling ProtSetup (to let MPS override Emacs's handling of SIGBUS and SIGSEGV).

Emacs's SIGBUS and SIGSEGV handlers are used only deal with serious internal fatal errors, which should never happen, and if they do happen I hope MPS will do the right thing with them by passing them to Emacs's thread_fatal_action. You should test that by injecting a serious internal fatal error (usage of a bad pointer) into Emacs and seeing that MPS does the right thing with it.

I assume that MPS is not being used to allocate any of Emacs's own objects, as copying collectors are incompatible with Emacs's habit of squirreling away pointers inside integers.