Re: Objed maintenance

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Objed maintenance
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 07:22:23 +0000

Amy Grinn <grinn.amy@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Clemens!
>
> First of all, I want to extend my appreciation for your innovative work
> on the objed package.  It is by far and away my favorite modal editing
> package.
>
> I have been maintaining a fork of objed for about two years; it's
> available here:
>
> https://gitlab.com/grinn.amy/objed
>
> I believe my addition of the C-g command and the objed-game tutorial can
> be valuable to existing users.  The former allows for quickly entering
> and exiting objed and the latter allows users to learn the whole
> potential of the package.
>
> I've also made improvements to existing commands such as slurp and barf,
> organized the codebase, updated the documentation, and simplified the
> build and testing process using eldev.
>
> I would love to get your feedback on any of these improvements, however
> I'm aware that this package is not at the forefront of your mind right
> now.  In the absence of any activity over the past 4 years, I would
> humbly suggest turning the project over to me.

It is my impression, that Clemens isn't really active around Emacs any
more.  His last public contribution on GitHub was 2021 and his website
https://with-emacs.com/ now points to some gambling site (after a HTTPS
error).

I would say that after almost 3 years, enough time has passed that the
maintenance can be passed on, ans since you have some experience with
the package, there is probably no better person for the job right now.

We should make sure that after switching the repository, new versions of
the package shouldn't contain hard-breaks.  I only used the package
briefly a few years back, so it is difficult for me to evaluate this on
my own.  Perhaps someone here on the list has the package installed and
could try out Amy's fork?

--
        Philip Kaludercic on peregrine