Re: Building the igc branch on MS-Windows

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: Building the igc branch on MS-Windows
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 11:13:30 +0200

On Fri, Apr 26 2024, Gerd Möllmann wrote:

> Maybe it would be a good idea to take the assert !"other" out for the
> moment?

Unlikely.

> Sometimes it helps to put MPS into a post-mortem state, as MPS calls it.
> There is igc_postmorten which can be called from the debugger. That at
> least lifts the memory barriers.

I guess I need to have a deeper look at MPS documentation better someday.

> Does that make sense?
>
> I think we should first get to a state where we don't fail asserts,
> because it's hard to tell if followup errors are "real", so to say.

One way to reproduce this (or something very similar) is this:

./src/emacs -Q src/xdisp.c -eval
 '(progn (igc--collect) (redisplay) (igc--collect)'

Unfortunately, redisplay is a relatively big function.  Are there any
good places in the display code where I could insert an explicit call to
igc_collect so that it crashes earlier?