Re: Why not include all ELPA packages in an Emacs release?

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Why not include all ELPA packages in an Emacs release?
Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 20:58:16 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> If they don't, someone will ping them, sooner or later.  usually via a
> bug report.

In a perfect world, perhaps, but in this, they are frequently
unreachable or unresponsive, as in the case of the popular "evil", which
a one-liner would enable to operate on Android, but whose maintainers
cannot be contacted and whose users cannot take a hint and would sooner
repeat the same few questions, at my inconvenience, than submit this
code to its developers:

  (put 'evil-mouse-drag-region 'ignored-mouse-command t)

(If Tom Dalziel is reading this, hint, hint.)

> Welcome to the real world.  We have such problems in Emacs all the
> time, even without moving stuff to ELPA.  Emacs is immense, and in
> many cases even identifying the places where such adaptations are
> needed takes a long time.  How long do you think it took me to find
> all the places where bidi support needed changes, even though I was
> here all the time?
>
> There's nothing new here, and we shouldn't reject the idea of moving
> stuff to ELPA because of that.

Bidi was quite an extensive update, and it's little wonder that plenty
of effort went into updating Emacs's motley components for it.  It
should also have been clear from my examples that my concerns are not
founded on such changes, but the far more numerous trivial changes that
require adjustments hither and yon, which are so much less taxing when
all concerned components are centralized in one repository.