Re: Including <locale.h> unconditionally in Emacs

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Including <locale.h> unconditionally in Emacs
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2024 14:46:35 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2024 22:44:39 -0700
>> Cc: Emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
>>
>> On 2024-06-05 21:53, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>
>> > I'd like to hear from Po Lu wrt the
>> > Andriod port, as I'm not familiar with the situation there.  I think
>> > Po Lu also builds Emacs on some ancient Solaris version, so maybe
>> > there's an issue there?  And what about macOS?
>>
>> None of these are real issues. Android has had locale.h since day 1.
>> Even ancient, ancient SunOS has it and besides, there's no point porting
>> to anything older than Solaris 10 aka SunOS 5.10 (the oldest supported
>> version). macOS has had it "forever" too.
>
> Then I think we are good to go in this matter.
>
>> > we
>> > will have one more reason not to import from Gnulib before the branch
>> > point.
>>
>> I can sync from Gnulib into the master branch after "soon" happens, and
>> then people can copy those fixes into the emacs-30 branch if and when
>> they feel the need. There's no rush. I wouldn't have even bothered to
>> sync from Gnulib recently, except that somebody reported a
>> Gnulib-related bug on the master branch.
>
> Right, thanks.

Paul is correct, though if any Gnulib code relies on locale.h's being
useful rather than merely present during compilation, there will be
difficulties on Android 4.4 and earlier.  In general, there's no rhyme
or reason to the inexplicable decisions to exclude functions from
Android's libc, which might be obscure functions introduced in recent
POSIX standards one day, but as easily established functions the next,
getpwent being the "type specimen", so to speak.

On another note, where is this code of ours that is allegedly
conditioned on HAVE_LOCALE_H?  If there is any, I can't find it.