Re: Including <locale.h> unconditionally in Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Including <locale.h> unconditionally in Emacs
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2024 22:54:09 -0400

  > As Emacs surely long ago stopped porting to platforms so obsolete that
  > they lack <locale.h>, I assume it would be OK for Emacs to start
  > including <locale.h> unconditionally. I thought I'd ask here first,
  > though, just to make sure.

Maybe it is fine nowadays to stop supporting the old systems that lack
locale.h.  I gather they were in use 30 years ago.

But in general I have the feeling that there is a tendency in parts of
our community to drop support for old systems too fast.  For instance,
Coreboot has dropped support for the last server board that doesn't
have the Intel Management Engine.  You can still buy them, and that's
the model the FSF uses.

So let's stay cautious about this.