Re: Building master hangs generating lisp/eshell/esh-util-tests.log

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Building master hangs generating lisp/eshell/esh-util-tests.log
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2024 23:48:23 +0300

On 13/06/2024 23:35, Jim Porter wrote:
I wish someone could help me reproduce it though.

   make -C test lisp/eshell/esh-util-tests

finishes just fine over here, no matter how many times I try. Is it perhaps OS-specific? I'm testing this on GNU/Linux now, whereas something like macOS might plausibly go down the 'else' clause read_and_insert_process_output more often...

The email subject is a misnomer, I believe: 'esh-util-tests' is likely the file *before* the hanging one. Try 'esh-proc-tests' instead. From poking around a bit, one of the hanging tests is 'esh-proc-test/output/remote-redirect' in that file.

That makes more sense, thanks. It did kind of freeze once when I tried it a few times.

Interactively, esh-proc-test/output/remote-redirect just fails with

    Check that redirecting stdout for a remote process works.
    Command logs: command: "*echo hello > #<eshell-temp-buffer>"

    (ert-test-failed
     ((should (eshell-match-output regexp)) :form
      (eshell-match-output "\\`\\'") :value nil :explanation
      (mismatched-output (command "*echo hello > #<eshell-temp-buffer>\n")
                         (output "echo: external command not found\n")

But I guess it infloops in the terminal somehow...