Re: Would True Colour to ANSI 8-bit palette conversion be useful

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Would True Colour to ANSI 8-bit palette conversion be useful
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2024 14:14:19 +0300

> From: Michał Nazarewicz <mina86@mina86.com>
> Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2024 06:01:19 -0400
>
> A while back I wrote https://github.com/mina86/ansi_colours which
> takes 24-bit RGB colour and spits out the best matching entry from
> ANSI 8-bit palette.  I’ve recently looked through NEWS and noticed
> changes related to the true colour support on the terminal.
>
> This got me wondering whether a feature to do True Colour -> ANSI
> conversion would be useful somewhere in Emacs.  The typical usage is
> where the user specifies 24-bit colour but the terminal supports the
> 8-bit palette only.

Maybe I misunderstand what you mean by that, but Emacs already
attempts to find the best color of the N colors the terminal actually
supports that approximates the color specified by a face.  That
includes the case of only 8 supported colors.  See tty-colors.el.
This transparent color approximation exists in Emacs since v21.1, and
it was necessary to let Lisp programs specify X colors without
worrying too much about what will happen on TTY frames.

If the approximation implemented in tty-color-approximate is not what
you have in mind, please tell more about your ideas.

Thanks.