Re: MPS: profiler

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: MPS: profiler
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2024 07:36:42 +0000

Helmut Eller <eller.helmut@gmail.com> writes:

>> I'd guess that just "touching" Lisp objects in the SIGPROF handler can
>> be problematic because these objects themselves can be behind a barrier,
>> either the same that MPS is currently working on when it got interrupted
>> or another one.
>
> Perhaps dflt_scan should block SIGPROF while it is running.  Or perhaps
> dflt_scan should set some global flag while it running so that the
> profiler knows that it's too dangerous to touch anything.  Any better
> ideas?

May you infer from the backtrace whether MPS "freezes" everything at the
time when segfault triggers? If it does, such freezes should probably be
recorded by the profiler and accumulated in "GC" entry in the profiler
report, as we do it on master. Otherwise, profiler will be missing some
data.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,