Re: MPS native subrs

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: MPS native subrs
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2024 08:31:04 +0200

On Tue, Jun 25 2024, Gerd Möllmann wrote:

> Seems to have appeared in
>
> 58e0c8ee86e2c36245f1c5a1483f1c73600b4914
> Author:     Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> AuthorDate: Sun Feb 14 13:21:24 2021 +0100
>
> Extend the syntax of `interactive' to list applicable modes

But it's always nil for primitive subrs.  To me, this feature seems so
rarely used that it would be more than good enough if only named
commands can have command-modes.  For named commands, the symbols plist
seems like the better place to put it than the function itself.  If we
could get rid of the command_modes field, then we wouldn't need to trace
primitives at all.

More generally, it seems that the DEFUN macro works much like the DEFVAR
macro, in the sense that it creates a struct and puts it in a static
variable.  So the Lisp_Subrs structs for primitives are, just like the
Lisp_Fwd structs, already in the data section.  We could re-use them
instead of re-creating them in the dump.  Of course, only if we can get
rid of the command_modes field.