Re: Add Tango and Adwaita icons for the toolbar

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Add Tango and Adwaita icons for the toolbar
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2024 17:22:29 +0800

Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:

> I the one that should be sorry. I’ve having a lot of stuff on my plate
> and barely keeping up :-) Also I don’t have a good solution for making
> the new tab icons work well on all platforms: it requires figuring out
> image scaling on all the platforms and modifying tab-bar code that
> handle individual platforms.

Where does the tab-bar code enter the equation?  More generally, why
modify any platform-specific code in the first place?  Focusing on
scaling at this time would be a gross misplacement of priorities; first
these icons ought not to constitute a regression from the existing icon
theme where this is already adequate, which they wouldn't if XPM and PBM
versions of the proposed icons, scaled to the dimensions of the
existing, were to be installed.

> I wonder if we can just add the icon files for now, so people can try
> them out and experiment with them? Hopefully in the future someone (or
> I) can come up with something that works on all the platforms.

If you unload this feature on users before it is ready for those
completely satisfied as it is, or before the infrastructure is in place
for rendering it optional, you will receive plenty of negative feedback
but negligible "experimentation."