Re: with-editor seems like a bug fix

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: with-editor seems like a bug fix
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2024 14:47:07 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Eli,

> What you say here seems to imply that the remote case cannot be solved
> in principle?

"in general" might describe it better.

>> TL;DR: I don't believe with-editor is just a bug fix. There are reasons
>>        for the implementation as-it-is. It might profit from using
>>        emacsclient also for the remote case (when possible), but nobody
>>        has taken the stab.
>
> I don't see how we can discuss a package which solves problems we
> don't understand.

Oh, we understand. When there is no emacsclient on the remote host, we
cannot use it. with-editor solves this problems.

> Until and unless someone describes the problems which with-editor
> solves in enough detail for us to understand what goes wrong and
> where, I don't think we can discuss the addition of the package to
> core.

Yep, there are more use cases to investigate. But there doesn't seem
enough pressure (from users) to change the status quo.

I believe it is OK to keep with-editor in ELPA.

> Thanks.

Best regards, Michael.