Re: MPS: dangling markers

From: Gerd Möllmann
Subject: Re: MPS: dangling markers
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2024 21:22:44 +0200

Pip Cet <pipcet@protonmail.com> writes:

> On Sunday, June 30th, 2024 at 13:15, Gerd Möllmann <gerd.moellmann@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > Not necessarily rare, particularly not if we turn BUF_MARKERS into a
>> > weak hash table (I still don't see why we shouldn't do that, maybe I
>> > missed it).
>>

>> Hm, don't know. On the one hand, there's Stefan's gap buffer data
>> structure, and on the other hand add_marker and remove_marker are now
>> O(1) in igc, modulo bugs. So the pressure has decreased.
>
> Well, I needed a weak hash table to test things on, which is why I've
> included the change in the attached patch.

Thanks! What do youo think about making a patch containing only your
weak hash tables, and leaving the BUF_MARKERS alone for now? That way
igc could support the existing uses of weak hash tables (I remember one
in the CLOS department somehwere), and they would be somewhat tested.
Don't remember if we have unit tests for them.