[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
master e35d68f: * lisp/dired.el (dired-readin): Don't bind inhibit-modif
master e35d68f: * lisp/dired.el (dired-readin): Don't bind inhibit-modification-hooks
Mon, 30 Mar 2020 15:46:51 -0400 (EDT)
Author: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Commit: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
* lisp/dired.el (dired-readin): Don't bind inhibit-modification-hooks
lisp/dired.el | 44 ++++++++++++++++++++++++--------------------
1 file changed, 24 insertions(+), 20 deletions(-)
diff --git a/lisp/dired.el b/lisp/dired.el
index b66bb03..d58c37b 100644
@@ -1208,15 +1208,11 @@ wildcards, erases the buffer, and builds the
;; default-directory and dired-actual-switches must be buffer-local
;; and initialized by now.
- (let (dirname
- ;; This makes read-in much faster.
- ;; In particular, it prevents the font lock hook from running
- ;; until the directory is all read in.
- (inhibit-modification-hooks t))
- (if (consp dired-directory)
- (setq dirname (car dired-directory))
- (setq dirname dired-directory))
- (setq dirname (expand-file-name dirname))
+ (let ((dirname
+ (if (consp dired-directory)
+ (car dired-directory)
;; This hook which may want to modify dired-actual-switches
;; based on dired-directory, e.g. with ange-ftp to a SysV host
@@ -1226,17 +1222,25 @@ wildcards, erases the buffer, and builds the
(setq buffer-undo-list nil))
(or coding-system-for-read file-name-coding-system))
- (let ((inhibit-read-only t)
- ;; Don't make undo entries for readin.
- (buffer-undo-list t))
- (goto-char (point-min))
- ;; Must first make alist buffer local and set it to nil because
- ;; dired-build-subdir-alist will call dired-clear-alist first
- (setq-local dired-subdir-alist nil)
+ ;; We used to bind `inhibit-modification-hooks' to try and speed up
+ ;; execution, in particular, to prevent the font-lock hook from running
+ ;; until the directory is all read in.
+ ;; I strongly suspect that this was only useful in Emacs<21, because
+ ;; jit-lock made it a non-issue.
+ ;; Nevertheless, I used `combine-change-calls' which provides the
+ ;; same performance advantages, just in case.
+ (combine-change-calls (point-min) (point-max)
+ (let ((inhibit-read-only t)
+ ;; Don't make undo entries for readin.
+ (buffer-undo-list t))
+ (goto-char (point-min))
+ ;; Must first make alist buffer local and set it to nil because
+ ;; dired-build-subdir-alist will call dired-clear-alist first
+ (setq-local dired-subdir-alist nil)
(let ((attributes (file-attributes dirname)))
(if (eq (car attributes) t)
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- master e35d68f: * lisp/dired.el (dired-readin): Don't bind inhibit-modification-hooks,
Stefan Monnier <=