emacs-diffs

Re: master updated (ccb5556 -> 4d00db5)

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master updated (ccb5556 -> 4d00db5)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 21:08:49 +0200

larsi@gnus.org (Lars Ingebrigtsen) writes:

> larsi pushed a change to branch master.
>
>       from  ccb5556   Unbreak build with --enable-checking=all
>        new  672bfdb   Slight cleanup in calc-yank
>        new  86a326d   Slight gnus-util clean-up
>        new  a19e9ab   Minor idlwave clean up
>        new  72c53fc   Slight allout.el clean-up
>        new  7bbfdce   Remove compat code in prolog.el
>        new  958fa07   Remove compat code from allout.el
>        new  97c4d94   Remove compat code from esh-proc.el
>        new  4d00db5   Remove compat code from comint.el

I case you're wondering what brought these trivial changes on...

A couple years back I was thinking "I wonder how many
(fboundp 'thing-that-is-definitely-in-emacs) calls there are in Emacs",
and then I forgot all about it.

But I remembered tonight, so I wrote a little snippet that went through
all the symbols in simple.el (as an example of a preloaded .el file in
Emacs) and grepped a bit.

I only did a handful of symbols, because deciding what to do about it
all takes a bit of typing, and I have to check whether it's an
externally maintained package, because then I can't remove compat
code...  it would have been nice if those files were marked in some
way...

Anyway.

There's probably some Ks of code that can be removed by spelunking this
way.