emacs-diffs

Re: master e75822fba6: ; Fix a typo in autoload.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master e75822fba6: ; Fix a typo in autoload.el
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 15:16:05 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-diffs@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 14:00:33 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > But there's no loaddefs-generate in Emacs 28.1, is there?
>
> The message doesn't claim that there was.  It just says:
>
> ---
> This function is obsolete since 29.1; use loaddefs-generate instead.
> ---
>
> Which was accurate before this change.

Look at this from POV of someone who maintains a 3rd party package,
which wants to support Emacs 28 and later.  Or has some local code
which uses update-directory-autoloads.  If they read the original
message, they will want to replace the function with
loaddefs-generate, and that will break their package in Emacs 28.

If we can arrange for the obsolescence message to say one thing in
Emacs 28 and another in Emacs 29 and later, then let's point to a
function that exists in Emacs 28 and to loaddefs-generate in Emacs 29
and later.  Otherwise, I don't see how we can leave the message at its
form before my change.

And it isn't a catastrophe that people will think the function is only
obsolete since Emacs 29, yes?