emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] How do you keep engaged with your writings?

From: Paul W. Rankin
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] How do you keep engaged with your writings?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 00:03:16 +1000

On 2021-01-23 16:57, Manuel Uberti wrote:
Everything is indexed in bullet journaling, so I can quickly go to important notes and lists. The beauty of it is that, just like Emacs, it is entirely customisable to suit one's needs. I keep track of expenses at home, log my
readings, organise my studies at University, manage appointments, etc.

As for the rest, I am happy to set my computer aside as much as possible. I
already spend too much time on it for work and writing anyway.

Please allow me to echo Manuel's praise for a paper notebook. A couple of advantages over digital that may not be immediately obvious:

Requires no syncing. A while back I had what seemed like an epiphany: I had wasted many hours of my life just trying to *sync* various things. Now, anything that advertises syncing as a feature I approach with trepidation.

Graceful decay of tasks. Each week turns a new page; if I have incomplete tasks from the previous week, I'll need to copy them over to the current week. Often times a task seems important at the time but less so later. Unimportant tasks just don't get copied over gracefully fade into the past.