emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Introduction and Fonts

From: Christian Tietze
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Introduction and Fonts
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 08:59:46 +0200

Hi Krishna!

You'll likely get a lot of responses here because everyone has a different
favorite font :)

I got used to writing with monospaced fonts. I do that for 2 decades
now, and since I'm a programmer, the transition was likely easier. My
Emacs main font is "Fira Code", at the moment. I like monospace fonts
that don't have as many serifs as e.g. Courier. Dunno why, it's just my
taste.

For UI elements like the modeline and tab bar, I use the system
default's variable width font, on Mac that's San Francisco or "SF Pro".

PNG image

Nicholas Rougier's NANO-Emacs[1] and Elegant Emacs[2] rely heavily on
Roboto Mono and a cursive monospaced italic font for some sexy
variation.

[1]: https://github.com/rougier/nano-emacs
[2]: https://github.com/rougier/elegant-emacs

For note-taking (I'm developing an app for that and so I'm using it for
this task, not Emacs), I actually switched to Lato to see if it's
actually bearable after reading a UX article on fonts and reading
speed.[3]

[3]: https://www.nngroup.com/articles/best-font-for-online-reading/

That works quite well, too! Took a week of adjustment, though.

When the font is large enough and the font rendering by your operating
system doesn't suck, I personally think you'd be fine with anything that
is not Comic Sans :) Just takes some getting used to. I feel comfy
enough with Fira Code (that I know) and variable width UI fonts to
distinguish these and get back some screen real estate. Others just use
1 font for everything. Roboto is quite versatile and comes in many
weights.

Cheers,
Christian

--