emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Keeping this mailing list on-topic.

From: Krishna Jani
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 11:33:02 +0530

On 1/21/23 23:22, Karl Fogel wrote:
On 21 Jan 2023, Edgar Vincent wrote:
Hello Bastien, hello everyone,

While I understand that off-topic subjects may be annoying to subscribers, I tend to agree with Bastien, especially given the fact that the traffic on the list
is very low.

This is the reason why I answered the email about Zizek: I am interested not only in using Emacs in the context of the humanities, but also in other people using it said context. I assume that most people using Emacs are IT professionals, and few of us have a background in the humanities or the social sciences. This list can thus serve as
as gathering point for this small minority of users.

Perhaps there could be another list called “emacs-humanities-offtopic”? I don’t know
what the general policy is.

Wishing you all a nice weekend,

I think that's a fine solution.

 This list is a gathering place for people using Emacs in the
 Humanities (a.k.a. "Liberal Arts") and related domains.  Usage  of
 Emacs in the Humanities is the thing subscribers have in common,  but a
 given conversation on the list may or may not involve Emacs  itself.

(Feel free to redraft, of course; I'm just offering a suggestion.)

Subscribers like me can decide whether or not we want to unsubscribe from the list, now that its purpose has changed.  It's fine for a mailing list to evolve.  Such evolution usually involves some negotiation, and my post was a contribution to that negotiation.  The negotiation does not have to reach my preferred result in order to conclude successfully.

Best regards,
-Karl

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Karl,

Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com> writes:

But I would appreciate it if we could stick to the charter of this
mailing list: Emacs as used in the humanities.

I understand your concern, but instead of trying to move off-topic
discussions elsewhere, I would suggest to let the topic of this list
evolve as “Emacs users and humanities”.

This includes the topic “Emacs as used in the humanities” but is way
larger, letting Emacs users discuss humanities among themselves.

I suspect this larger topic better reflects why people subscribe to
this list, as the recent discussions suggests.

WDYT?

Hello,

I was very happy to see this thread and the responses on it because frankly, I too joined the list thinking I would meet and be able to talk to several technically inclined EMACS nerds who also have in a way the same background as I do. I think it is a great meeting place of these two different often unrelated fields and as Bastien rightly said I feel as though the members should let the mailing list chart its own course rather than forcing a set rule or topic. I feel as though this is more of a users group rather than a tech support forum, which mean that the users (to an extent) must have agency over what they wish to talk about.

--
Krishna Jani
Student Associate Member,