[Orgmode] Re: Bug with org-startup-folded?

From: Wanrong Lin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Bug with org-startup-folded?
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:43:57 -0500

Update on my own investigation/confusion on this problem:

I have two lines like this in my org mode configuration
(setq org-agenda-file-regexp "\\.org\\'")
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist `(,org-agenda-file-regexp . org-mode))

By inserting some "message" statements (that is how far I can go on debugging elisp code) in org-mode function, I found that when I visit a ".org" file for the fist time, "org-mode" function is not called at all! But the file does open as an normal org-mode file (with "Org" appearing in the mode-line), except the text is not folded. If I kill the buffer and open the fine again, "org-mode" function is invoked and hence text is folded.

I can certainly work around this problem by forcing org-mode to be called every time I open an org file. But can somebody help me out here? Why org-mode is not called at all when the file is opened for the first time? Who is keeping track whether the file is opened the first time or not? Thanks a lot.

Wanrong

Wanrong Lin wrote:
Just an update on the problem:

I found that if I add the per-file option like this, the "overview" mode is always on when I visit an org file, whether it is the first time or not.
#+STARTUP: fold

But the global option does not work fully as I described before.

Wanrong

Wanrong Lin wrote:
Hi,

I like to have newly opened org-mode files in overview (folded) mode. With org-startup-folded set to t, this seems to only work partially. That is, when I firstly open an file, say xyz.org file, the file is unfolded. But if I kill the buffer, and open the same file again, it will be folded. At first I thought this is because the interference from the "session" package. But I removed that package and nothing changed. I am using the latest (5.15) org-mode.

Thanks if someone can look into this.

Wanrong