Re: [Orgmode] hotkeys for org in gnome

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] hotkeys for org in gnome
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:30:52 +0530

On Dec 22, 2007 9:22 PM, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
> "Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Monday, December 17, at 15:20, Adam Spiers wrote:
> >  > On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 10:27:40AM +0400, Dmitri Minaev wrote:
> >  > > On Dec 15, 2007 8:34 AM, Rustom Mody <address@hidden> wrote:
> >  > > > I was wondering if there is some way that in addition to activating
> >  > > > emacs it is possible to run remember
> >  > >
> >  > > I believe this is one more argument in favor of scriptable window
> >  > > managers. In Stumpwm, Sawfish and, I assume, in Ion it's a trivial
> >  > > task.
> >  >
> >  > Agreed!  Alas, I was forced to abandon sawfish after its development
> >  > and maintenance slowed down to a crawl.
> >
> > I've been looking into window managers which can integrate well
> > w/emacs, and it looks like FVWM http://fvwm.org/ is *very*
> > customizable, and it is actively maintained.
>
> For those who speak python, I've just discover this new window manager
> and think it could get along great with Emacs: PycaWM
>
> http://pycawm.last-exile.org/
>
> --
> Bastien

I guess that there are -- broadly speaking -- 3 ways of handling this:

1. A programmable window manager
2. Generating arbitrary sequence of events by stuffing the
corresponding keys into the window manager using (something like)
xrecord
3. Using emacs' own clientserver setup ie emacsclient

I have as of now opted for the 3rd option. My setup is as follows:

.emacs has the following:

(server-start)
(defun myserver ()
  (raise-frame)
  (make-frame-visible)
  (remember))

gconf-editor->apps->metacity->keybindings->command_1 has the binding:

bash -c "wmctrl -a emacs; emacsclient -n -e '(myserver)'"
Actually it has
bash -c "wmctrl -a emacs-snapshot-gtk; emacsclient.emacs-snapshot -n
-e '(myserver)'"
because of debian peculiarities with respect to emacs 22.

And gconf-editor->apps->metacity->global-keybindings has run_command_1
bound to the keystroke <mod4>e ie Win-e

Note that this is not quite satisfactory to me because the raise-frame
and the make-frame-visible are both redundant and insufficient.  Which
is why I need the wmctrl. Which is why I need the bash -c.

If anyone finds a way of streamlining this please post it!