Re: [Orgmode] FR: source code

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] FR: source code
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 17:51:44 +0100

On Jan 29, 2008, at 5:04 PM, Phil Jackson wrote:

Phil Jackson <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

I *personally* still can't decide if this is within org's scope
though, not to say I wouldn't find it very handy.

So then am confused what you initial message was about.  The feature
your are asking for is then an exporting feature, right?  Maybe you
need to restate what exactly you would like to see.

Yes, I'm a confused young man. My final answer is: I would like to see
syntax highlighted code in a HTML export :)

So what do you think Carsten? I would like to see the:

   #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE lang:shell-script
   #+END_EXAMPLE

That Bastien suggested. I would be willing to help out the exporter
people if need be.

Hi Phil,

just to let you know: this idea is not forgotten.  However, we have some
internal discussion about a big generalization of the exporters.
If that happens, things like special formatting of examples will be easy to
add.  Before being sure what is going to happen, I don't want to
be spending time with this.

However, since you have signed the papers now, feel free to implement
a proposal for the exporter.  The routing where you want to hook into
might be org-cleaned-string-for-export - this is where the BEGIN_EXAMPLE
is currently turned into a quoted string.  However, the fact that I am
pointing you to this routine might already show that the exporter
really needs a rewrite.

- Carsten