Re: [Orgmode] Highlighting Sparse Tree Leaves

From: Wanrong Lin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Highlighting Sparse Tree Leaves
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:19:07 -0500

Using "PROJECT" as a TODO keyword certainly can work, however, my work flow usually is first quickly mark anything that needs action with "TODO" and later I may add more sub-items to it. Following this approach I will need to remember to change "TODO" to "PROJECT" once a TODO item starts to have sub-items. Also, if all sub-actions of a "PROJECT" are marked as "DONE", I need to remember to turn the "PROJECT" back to "TODO", as I need the sparse tree to remind me to double check this TODO/PROJECT item to see whether it is really all done, or I need to add more sub-actions to it (and turn it back to "PROJECT" again).

As you can see, that is a lot of manually actions and mistakes can be easily made. Maybe my workflow has some problem here, but I can not think of anything else that works better. The difficulty to me is, an item can be either PROJECT or TODO depending on how detailed your plan is, which keeps changing.

I think if we can have the *option* of selecting a different face for highlighting sparse tree leaves, the above can be solved elegantly. You can still see the whole sparse tree, but the leaves will stand out.

Just trying to push my case a little bit. :-)   Thanks a lot.

Wanrong

Carsten Dominik wrote:
Hi Wanrong,

No, I think you need to find a different way around this.
For example by using a different keyword for the headings that contain the true TODO items. I use PROJECT or something similar.
When you then search for TODO, the true tasks will be highlighted.

- Carsten