Re: [Orgmode] FR: Repeated time stamp, jumping from current time

From: Wanrong Lin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] FR: Repeated time stamp, jumping from current time
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 16:33:43 -0500

I think even if it is not a deadline, just personal scheduled stuff (no "external force") , there are cases where you just want to do things periodically at a certain date/time, so we should keep the old behavior. We don't have to choose between these two (jumping from current date and jumping from the scheduled date). We can just add a new feature.
Here are my thoughts on the issue:

I think of SCHEDULED as my personal plan to start doing something at a
specified time.  In this interpretation, having something scheduled
for the past does not make sense, or more precisely, it should be
functionally equivalent to scheduling it for "now" (except that it
reminds you that you're behind schedule).  Therefore, I'd vote for
jumping from the current date, not from the time in the SCHEDULED
timestamp.

Your example of paying a bill is, in my view, a DEADLINE, an
externally imposed requirement.  Since whomever imposed the deadline
on you does not care about your personal scheduling, the jumping in
deadlines should be from the time indicated in the timestamp.

Thanks,
Piotr

 An
 example is changing my furnace filter. I am supposed to change it once a
 month, but if I am late for 10 days, the next date to change should be
 30 days away, not 20 days away.

 Maybe we can use a syntax like this to indicate that:

 <2008-03-01 Sat +=1m>

 Any comments? Thank you.

 Wanrong